Resume Advice - Moving from DVX shooter to high-end productions

Guest Davy Russell

Guest Davy Russell

Hello,

I'm not sure what my next career step should be. My goal is to be a freelance camera operator on independent features, music videos, commercials and documentary (eventually DP, but I still have a lot to learn to get there). Right now, I am producing and shooting ultra low-budget short films, music videos and events (concerts, weddings, etc.) with a DVX100a. While I've shot 2 features, 8 or so short films and numerous events, all I have ever used have been pro-sumer 3ccd cams (GL2/XL2, DVX100, PD170). I want to get work on higher-end productions using higher-end cameras. How should I orient my resume to get there? Should I say I'm a camera operator when I've never touched a camera that cost more than $3000? Or should I apply for an AC or camera PA position (or would my resume look like I'm over-qualified as everyting I've done has been camera op, but on low-budget productions?)

I'm working on updating my resume and applying for work in a larger market (Chicago), so I want to make sure my resume is the best it can be. I don't want to turn people off by calling myself a camera operator (without having proficiency on ENG-style cameras), but I also don't want to sell myself short by applying for PA jobs, however, if I need to start as a PA, so be it.

I've attached my resume for any who want to take a look and lend some advice.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

David_I_Russell_Resume.pdf

Hello,

I'm not sure what my next career step should be. My goal is to be a freelance camera operator on independent features, music videos, commercials and documentary (eventually DP, but I still have a lot to learn to get there). Right now, I am producing and shooting ultra low-budget short films, music videos and events (concerts, weddings, etc.) with a DVX100a. While I've shot 2 features, 8 or so short films and numerous events, all I have ever used have been pro-sumer 3ccd cams (GL2/XL2, DVX100, PD170). I want to get work on higher-end productions using higher-end cameras. How should I orient my resume to get there? Should I say I'm a camera operator when I've never touched a camera that cost more than $3000? Or should I apply for an AC or camera PA position (or would my resume look like I'm over-qualified as everyting I've done has been camera op, but on low-budget productions?)

I'm working on updating my resume and applying for work in a larger market (Chicago), so I want to make sure my resume is the best it can be. I don't want to turn people off by calling myself a camera operator (without having proficiency on ENG-style cameras), but I also don't want to sell myself short by applying for PA jobs, however, if I need to start as a PA, so be it.

I've attached my resume for any who want to take a look and lend some advice.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

As/is I'd hire you for PA work and that's about it unless you had a killer demo reel. Unfortunately all of the equipment shown is on the older side. What I might recommend is to purchase a low-end 16mm such as a Bolex, Krasnagorsk or Filmo camera and practice, using that footage to enhance your demo reel. That would show more flexibility and dismiss you as a button-pusher/auto-everything. I can see from the still photography experience that you likely do know how to handle manual, but that is only from my own experience in still photography. As a producer that thinks selecting "Night-shot" mode is hard work, likely wouldn't sink in.

No, I'd work on expanding the types of cameras familiar with. Even an inexpensive Bolex will give you the experience needed to get in as a 2AC on some productions. I know I got my first 1AC job due to me not only having 16mm experience, I had the camera with me at the interview as I had been shooting cityscapes on the way there.

Your resume doesnt really do much on its own. A good reel is better, but even that is limited by who you can get to watch it.

Your first priority should probably be meeting other people in the industry, which with your experience probably means PAing, or you might be able to grip or 2nd on really low budget stuff. Id say at least 75% of the jobs I do I am referred to in one way or another.

If only PAing drives you crazy look up the local film school and see if you cant find student projects to shoot to try to work on your reel and keep your creativity flowing. When I was in school there were alot of people who would work on our films and not be enrolled or anything.