Resume

Thanks in advance for taking a look.

My concerns:

I'm pursing a career in cinematography (which is why I'm on this site) and I want my resume to reflect my career goals. I don't have a specifc objective listed because 1) I don't have much room and 2) I also apply and take other jobs inbetween camera jobs just to pay the rent.

I've currently organized it by my position held because I've jumped around as opportunities present themselves, example; after leaving a camera operator position on a very low budget tv show, I started taking PA jobs again, but on higher profile productions. A DP I recently worked with felt very strongly that once someone moves up (ie from PA to 2nd or 2nd to 1st) that you "can't" or shouldn't ever go jumping back and forth between positions, is this a common sentiment?

On some positions I held jobs where I filled multiple roles. I worked a couple jobs where I was originally hired as a PA, but was also the only person to fill the role of AC and grip. Those jobs I was the PA/AC/Grip and the producers clearly defined the jobs as such, but it seems like that would be too much to list and still be taken seriously. On those jobs, I was getting lunch, but also setting lights, preping camera and G&E gear and shooting the ocasional 'D' camera. Would I be better to list Camera PA as a more acurate title?

Thanks

Resume__Michele_Peterson.pdf

• Premium Member

yes, it is a common sentiment that once you've moved up the food chain that you do not want to go backwards. most production managers and line producers will not hire some one as a 1st AC who just last week worked for them as a PA. this happens all the way up. the main exception here is if you are not in a major market such as NY or LA. In smaller markets you often need to do lots of different jobs to pay your bills and the local LPs and PMs understand this.

as for your resume, i would lose the EMT stuff asap. it has practically zero relation to camera work. as for the rest it is obvious that you are starting out and you can't change that. i didn't put my first resume together until i had about 10 G&E credits to list and then that was all i put on there. yes it looked thin but IMHO much better than having PA credits etc. when the job i was applying for was as an electrician.

if i was looking to hire i would only want to see your camera op, ac and G&E credits. nothing else.

good luck

f