Perforations

Ben Reed

I recently bought a bolex H16 (I think it's a Deluxe, the serial number 11997 suggests 1955). Being fairly ignorant about film stocks I figured all standard 16mm was double perf. My bolex requires double perfs. Beyond a pdf on the kodak website I can't find any information from sellers of film stock as to wether the film stock they stock is single or double perf (unless I look at the CAT no on the picture; although not all the sites have pictures). My questions:

1. Does anyone know when (or with what model) bolex changed the H16 from double to single perf?

2. Can I get away with running single perf film stock through my double perf camera?

3. Does anyone still use double perf 16mm film?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

That's a low serial number which means the camera must be older than '55. By that time they were well up beyond 100,000. Yours looks like 11 thousand.

The tip off to this is that the camera requires double-perf. After the late 40s or so they didn't.

The one problem sprocket can be replaced or ground down to remove the perfs. Many of them were already exchanged, it was a common factory mod. Double perf film is harder to find but not impossible. People still use it.

Jim,

thanks for the response. Grinding down the sprocket grips sounds a bit sketchy (if I did it anyway!), is it still possible to get it modified professionally? If so, is it an expensive procedure.

Cheers,

Ben

Jim,

thanks for the response. Grinding down the sprocket grips sounds a bit sketchy (if I did it anyway!), is it still possible to get it modified professionally? If so, is it an expensive procedure.

Cheers,

Ben

Best done on an indexing or spin grinding fixture and a surface grinder. Can be done on just a lathe. Talk to your local machinist he will know what to do. They are commonly referd to as sprocket teeth.

Edited by chuck colburn