Hi

I hope this is the right forum to post in.

I live in the UK and I am 16. I am considering careers in the film/TV industry.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me about being a cameraman as a career.

What is involved in this job and what would I study after school if I wanted to become a cameraman?

Any advice would be great

Thanks very much

Hi

What is involved in this job and what would I study after school if I wanted to become a cameraman?

Thanks very much

Hey Sam,

Firstly, you are in the right place.

Welcome!

Being a cameraman is loads of fun but also loads of hard work. There is a bit of technical stuff you need to learn to help you understand how it works but above that your creativity is what separates you from the rest.

My advice is if your not, then start to watch loads of films from the past and now. Read some books on the basic technical side of cameras and light and then go out there with a camera and have some fun! Don't be afraid to make mistakes as it's from the mistakes that you'll learn more.

A good book that I can recommend is called "Cinematography", written by Kris Malkiewicz and our very own David Mullen.

In terms of studying and what route to take I would advise that you go down the photography route. A good place for you to aim at is the National Film and Television School (NFTS). I hear from other people that their Cinematography course is one of the best if not the best in the country.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Cheers

S

Hey Sam,

Firstly, you are in the right place.

Welcome!

Being a cameraman is loads of fun but also loads of hard work. There is a bit of technical stuff you need to learn to help you understand how it works but above that your creativity is what separates you from the rest.

My advice is if your not, then start to watch loads of films from the past and now. Read some books on the basic technical side of cameras and light and then go out there with a camera and have some fun! Don't be afraid to make mistakes as it's from the mistakes that you'll learn more.

A good book that I can recommend is called "Cinematography", written by Kris Malkiewicz and our very own David Mullen.

In terms of studying and what route to take I would advise that you go down the photography route. A good place for you to aim at is the National Film and Television School (NFTS). I hear from other people that their Cinematography course is one of the best if not the best in the country.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Cheers

S

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Your information is very helpful. I was looking at the NFTS website and it looks like a very good place to learn.

Thanks again

Hi

Thanks very much

Hi Sam,

Serge has great advice. I am an old(er) student right now, at age 29, thinking about

my career path. And am interested in cinematography, filmmaking. I am considering

graduate school study at U.C.C.A. in Farnham, England, and I think they have a great

film school; you may want to consider it when you turn 18.

The advantage you have right now is your young age. Professional companies will be

interested to hire you as an intern, because they know you have much to learn and you

may also be happy to stay with the film companies [who hire you, as intern] for many

years? I certainly recommend a young internship position that will give you an advantage

to meet many experienced experts, who you can use as professional contacts in the

future. I am also seeking internship experience, and hope I can gain more contacts.

Life is crazy and you will learn, only by experience, what you like [or don't] and what

you will be happy to do in your life career path.

Dax

University College of Creative Arts in Farnham, England has a detailed film school.