NTSC to PAL

Scott Imler

Hi I have a client in the UK that wants some footage shot here in Canada. I will be using my SDX 900 which is NTSC. Once he receives the footage he will be converting to PAL.

What is the best Frame rate to shoot this at to make the transfer as easy as possible. For now this is just test footage and the actual project will be shot with a PAL camera but for this we do not want to rent and ship a PAL camera in .

• Premium Member

If you want the best results, I would shoot 24PA, remove the pulldown during capture, then output a 24P quicktime and have that converted using the Alchemist...

But if you want to make it easier, you can just shoot 24p and convert the camera original tape, which I've done many times and yields good results.

A lot will depend on the PAL / NTSC converter - the Alchemist is my favorite, followed by Teranex...but these options are both expensive...

The absolute least expensive but still adequate approach would be to do the conversion in Final Cut (if you use it) using the Nattress Standards Conversion plug in.

J

If you want the best results, I would shoot 24PA, remove the pulldown during capture, then output a 24P quicktime and have that converted using the Alchemist...

But if you want to make it easier, you can just shoot 24p and convert the camera original tape, which I've done many times and yields good results.

A lot will depend on the PAL / NTSC converter - the Alchemist is my favorite, followed by Teranex...but these options are both expensive...

The absolute least expensive but still adequate approach would be to do the conversion in Final Cut (if you use it) using the Nattress Standards Conversion plug in.

J

Thanks for the reply I think we will go the 24P route