Canon AF 514xls

Thomas Robb

Just got a Canon AF 514xls. According to Small Format magazine article from 2006 it says that it reads the notches from 40 to 250 ASA; however the manual seems to say that it is a 40/160 camera, so I guess my question is, has anyone shot 64T successfully with the camera?

Just got a Canon AF 514xls. According to Small Format magazine article from 2006 it says that it reads the notches from 40 to 250 ASA; however the manual seems to say that it is a 40/160 camera, so I guess my question is, has anyone shot 64T successfully with the camera?

Hi Thomas,

the 514 canon cameras are curious beasts. Yes, they are a 40/160 camera. Actually they read the following speeds:

tungsten 40, 160, 250

daylight 25, 100, 160

but more complicated is the fact that unlike the vast majority of 40/160 cameras, the 514 cameras read 64t not as 40 but as 160. this is a bummer. You can always block the speed notch of the 64t cartridge so that the camera will definitely read the 64t as 40 instead of 160. This degree of over exposure is better than the larger amount of under exposure. This said, a lot will depend on how your particular camera's meter is behaving after all these years. It could be off by any amount, and only a test roll will tell I am afraid. Ideally you would shoot a roll on a known camera, and just finish it off in your 514 to see how its working without blowing a whole roll in it.

good luck

richard

I actually have the regular 514XL-S, which is more or less the same camera, just without autofocus, and I can tell you right now, I would not use this cam for shooting 64T unless you like the underexposed look. In order to expose it properly, you need to shoot a 1 1/3 higher f/stop than the camera suggests by using the EE lock lever on the side of the cam. You point it at something that looks like it's 1-1/3 stops higher, then you hold the lever down while you shoot. It's far more hassle than it's worth. You can see the example I shot at

(it's the second part of the video). I think somewhere or another I just gave up trying to use the EE Lock.