Almost 19 and need some advice on my plan.

So I have been making films with my buddies since I was about 15, have never interned and took a year off after high school (just got a job) to evaluate my life.

My dream job is Adventure Film Making, anything that has to do with the outdoors im down for. Getting a job as a camera man/cinematographer/director for shows similar to Man Vs Wild is definitely my goal in life but I need some advice.

I plan on working part time till the summer after this year and at the same time start building a serious directors reel of more or less documentary films on the NW (I live in Oregon) and try to get into a local film school in the fall of 2009. Im considering taking this outdoor recreational leadership course at Mt Hood Community College which I feel would look great on any resume I sent in to Discovery or what not.

I would have already been building my directors reel but I have been saving for a camera the past 9 months (Plan on getting a XH-A1) and this summer I plan on really getting to know the camera inside and out and read as much as possible about film making to get me ready because in the fall im on my own. ( Live with my dad right now)

So I was just wondering what you guys think? While taking the Outdoor course at the college im thinking it wouldn't hurt to take some film courses, but I also need to worry about a job. Its going to be a rough year but I have been considering my options since I graduated and this is the one thing I can see myself doing for the rest of my life.

I appreciate any information/advice you guys can offer of experiences similar to mine or anything at all really!

Yeah, that sounds good. Just get out there and do it. Don't take unnecessary risks, though. HD is up and coming, but you may also want to get some film shooting experience. Definitely a resume builder. Can't tell you how many kids out there call themselves "cinematographers" and have never even touched film. Again HD is OK, but to me is like having a race car driver who can only drive automatic cars, not very realistic these days. One is gotta be prepared to tackle any format out there.