Super 1.85 DI - Lens Test

Miguel Bunster

So i am going into to production soon and testing will be limited (spent weeks working out deals to shoot on 35) and I am looking at Super 1.85 to gain a little more resolution in an HDSR 444 DI. Now my concer is the following...

I may not have enough time to go through a lens test and was concerned that some may vignette in the super 1.85 area, most probable thing I will be using Carl Zeis Standard Speeds, and in a ocuple places Super Speeds and a Zoom lens qhich I am looking into.

Camera people told I would see in the eye piece the vignette but I want to test it, but may not be able to go through every lens...any thoughts?

PS: I was shooting with Panavision 420mm Zoom and in the eyepiece I could see a huge Vignette but after calling form mexico to Panavision Hollywood they told me not to worry was only in the eye piece. And it was fine all the way through (Super 35).

Thanks!

M

OK thanks, will look into it tomorrow it the rental house but looks like it is standard and some day player super speeds...my concern is that i will no be able to check this and as well lens resolution follow to its outer edge....

Thats the only thing making me doubt super 1.85...

m

I have found that the 16mm and 32mm Standard speeds will vignette with S35. I have never liked using the 32mm on the standard set as it breathes more than the others - also is the same with the Ultraprimes - the 32mm breathes compared to the other focal lengths, I don't know if the 40mm has the same problem.

Also check your zooms. Modern zooms should be ok, older zooms were made to cover Normal 35 frame so will vignette on the wider focal length.