Nikon Still Lenses

ryan greenberg

I realize that this has been talked about in the archives but I never found a description of the some of the more common Nikons or any recomendations of ACTUAL lenses used out there -more on the philosophy of using 16 lenses for 16,etc...- Since it is more common now to get Nikon mounts for our own16 cameras- including the Aminima and Eclairs,etc., could anyone comment on what Nikon lenses look good for 16 and which ones do not. Of course, anything wider than 25mm is not cost effective and that is understood - but for the long lens look - Which Nikons have given you guys good results?

I only ever use my Nikon adapter for telephoto lenses. There's a terrific 400mm T4 lens and an 80-200 T T2.8 that are each worth about $1000 and they look excellent in S-16. Limited use of course. I have occassionally used a 105mm portrait lens and a 200mm standard prime (a friend's--only cost maybe $150) but I found that they do not have the same quality of contrast and color depth that my cine primes do.

I've used the Nikon 105mm macro lens which I loved. It was a far better color/contrast match to the Cooke 10.4-52mm zoom I was using than the Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 zoom. The standard Nikon lenses seemed low contrast and fllare prone in comparison with the Cooke, and the 105mm. In addition the lens markings weren't very helpful for pulling focus. I don't know if this helps or not?

Brett

• 2 weeks later...