Showreel - Looking for a bit of feedback please

Hi there,

I've just put together a showreel and I'm looking for a bit of feedback.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoID=33605825

it's on myspace so is a bit compressed.

A mixture of 16mm, hdcam and hdv.

I'm a 2nd ac so this work is only really for getting more experience/enjoyment but it would still be great to have a bit of feedback.

thanks.

Hi there,

I've just put together a showreel and I'm looking for a bit of feedback.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoID=33605825

it's on myspace so is a bit compressed.

A mixture of 16mm, hdcam and hdv.

I'm a 2nd ac so this work is only really for getting more experience/enjoyment but it would still be great to have a bit of feedback.

thanks.

Hey Grant,

Overall not bad at all, but I would take a look at everything you have and make sure only your best stuff is in there. Maybe take some of the shots from later in the reel and bring them forward. There are a lot of really great shots. The shot of the broken glass with the girl behind is beautiful, the lady with the teacup, and many others are great. Make sure that they are seen.

Also, maybe try to crop everything to the same aspect ratio so it doesn't go from 16:9 to 4:3.

I dig the music, what song is that?

• Premium Member

I made it half way. Far too long for me. Partially because it's like watching TV with no sound; it's just a bunch of disjaunted images. I'd suggest seeing if you can arrange the images in more of some sort of visual story. To me this is is a piece that is more about the style of putting a piece together than a piece of trying to show me images and the work behind them. I equate it to those movie trailors I see many now make for their 'films'. Mechanically they have imitated the style of a popular movie trailor, but mechanics alone doesn't make for a good reel by itself in my opinion.

• Premium Member

Hi Grant,

You have some really striking images but I have a suggestion probably in line with what others have said or might say.

Go through each of your shots and grade them with 10 or A or whatever being the best. You know when you have a good shot that you love.

That's okay to say yeah! Then cut out everything else, as painful as that might be and as much as you might love those shots.

I think that then you'd have a smashing reel.

Good luck.