Good 1/8' mic for Digital Camcorder

I have a GR-HD1, and I'm looking to purchase a mic for it. It has a 1/8 inch jack. Though, I'm not too knowledgeable about sound recording. I know that I dont want a mic that can only be attatched to the camera- I need it to be able to get close to the action. Another option would be to get an external mic and just synch the sound in post editing. I was wondering if this would be easier and more cost effective in the end. I'd like to stay in the $ 500.00 price range and if there are some $300.00 mic setups that would probably be ideal. Any help is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I have a GR-HD1, and I'm looking to purchase a mic for it. It has a 1/8 inch jack. Though, I'm not too knowledgeable about sound recording. I know that I dont want a mic that can only be attatched to the camera- I need it to be able to get close to the action.  Another option would be to get an external mic and just synch the sound in post editing. I was wondering if this would be easier and more cost effective in the end. I'd like to stay in the $ 500.00 price range  and if there are some $300.00 mic setups that would probably be ideal. Any help is appreciated.

Well, I'd suggest looking into an attachment (made by the camerta manufacturer) that will allow you to use XLR mic cables. Most (if not all) professional mics use this type of cable. I've never seen a mic with an 1/8 inch connection beyond cheap little computer microphones. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, though.