pan cinor 17-85 2

grant mcphee

hi there,

i've just bought a pan-cinor 17-85 2 viewfinder for non-reflex cameras (the one with the dog leg).

Unfortunately, when I attach it the viewfinder is at a 30 degree angle so makes framing just as difficult as when i used the non-reflex viewfinder.

I did a little search on google for a manual but had no luck (unles I wanted to pay for one - was hoping for an online pdf). I also noticed a few other people had a similar problem but could not see any online solutions to their problem (or one that would solve mine).

The closest I could come up with was someone saying their was a tool (a 'bottle top'?).

Unfortunately I don't have this tool and have no idea what it looks like.

Does anyone know a way I can adjus the viewfinder without this, and ideally without having to resort to making one or sending off for one.

The viewfinder is curently on camera left (where the non reflex viewfinder was). I'd be happy with it there or where the fine focus finder is (where the viewfinder is on reflex cameras).

Any help appreciated.

Have the 17-85 Pan Cinor zoom with the dogleg finder and when you unscrew the finder tube from the lens base you will see the frame mask inside the lens tube screw base. This is rotateable and I can usually rotate it with my finger.

• 2 months later...

AI don't think you can/should rotate the entire lens that far, to match the position of the critical focus tube that is. I have never seen one oriented that way but - you can rotate the entire assembly by looking at the back side of the lens where it fits to the C-mount. There is a brass piece with two small cutout notches in it. If you VERY CAREFULLY insert a quarter in that set of notches you can rotate that piece. Doing so a small amount at a time will allow the entire lens to rotate to a new position. DO NOT scratch the back of the lens doing this or it's all over.

If you are talking about rotating the mask, that's different and covered in the other gentleman's note.

Sean

Have the 17-85 Pan Cinor zoom with the dogleg finder and when you unscrew the finder tube from the lens base you will see the frame mask inside the lens tube screw base. This is rotateable and I can usually rotate it with my finger.

You know, after looking at it on the Bolex Collector site, it looks like that is a possible position for the viewfinder for some versions. Huh.

For the 85-2 at least. I have the Pan Cinor 70 but mine may be an odd bird. Mine is all black.

See this site if you don't already know about it:

http://www.bolexcollector.com/lenses/60berthiot.html

Sean

You know, after looking at it on the Bolex Collector site, it looks like that is a possible position for the viewfinder for some versions. Huh.

For the 85-2 at least. I have the Pan Cinor 70 but mine may be an odd bird. Mine is all black.

See this site if you don't already know about it:

http://www.bolexcollector.com/lenses/60berthiot.html

Sean

I have the 85-2 and can position the viewfinder just about anywhere. I have fitted this lens to other cameras besides the Bolex. It does sometimes place the zoom control at an odd angle since it is a lever rather than rotating a zoom ring. I don't have it with me right now but the "Bolex Bible" by Andrew Alden may have more information on the Pan Cinor 70.

• 3 weeks later...

I also have the Cinor 30 for my H8 and when I rotate the dog leg on that one the image spins. Makes it hard to figure out the mounting. I think I need a manual on these things.

S.

Edited by Sean McHenry