Kodak XL55 problem

Anthony Fantozzi

I found this old Kodak XL55 while cleaning out my grandparents house after my nonna past away. There was still an kodachrome k40 tape left inside with a little bit of footage left. I put new batteries in and finished filming it and sent in the film to one of the two places left in the world who still process this film (Dwayne's Photo Service in kansas). I have no idea how old the tape is. Is it still good?

Now Right after the tape ended, it started rewinding or doing whatever it does... but it never stopped making this noise. I let it go for a while thinking it was resetting or something, but it just didnt stop, so i took out the batteries. Every time I put the batteries back in it starts again..

Is this something that can be fixed?

I would love to keep the camera around, seeing that I just ordered more film for it. I mean the camera isnt neccesarily in mint condition. Has some corrosion around the corners and

around the battery compartment. Could that be the problem/could i fix it?

I would love some feedback if possible. Thanks

When a S8 film cart reaches the end, the film stops moving. It can be a bit confusing, because when you pull the trigger the camera will run, although it will sound slightly different.

From what you said, it sounds like you removed the film and the camera makes a strange sound running without film. Unfortunately, many Kodak S8 cameras were made with plastic gear wheels that have either disintegrated or become incredibly brittle over the past couple of decades. If that has happened to your camera, you'll hear all sorts of weird noises. That said, some old movie cameras make a squealing noise because the lubricant has dried out completely.

It's hard to know without hearing it.

It's the cheese gear problem. All Kodak cameras made after 1966 do this. The poor gears basically dissolve over the years and the little teeth chew themselves up. You're lucky-- most cameras get about 15 seconds of life after they're fired up.

The earlier M2 and M4 cameras are OK because the teeth are larger and the gears they say are made of a different material. It's very sad, actually, because Kodak made some really great, simple cameras that were as good as anything out there.

well this is sad news.

I was hoping to use the camera for some film projects here at school.

Now I wish I didn't order that extra tape..

Thanks for the feedback

Don't loose heart, an inexpensive camera can be had for not too much. Hit the flea markets.

Get a Kodak M2 for $5. As good as most anything. You can run any film in it, manual exposure setting with a little chart on the front that tells you what to do. It's as close enough to modern films that you'll be OK.