Best Filter choices HD in Broad Daylight

I am currently working on a short film to be shot in the countryside, on a farm with the HVX200 and 35 adapter.

The majority of the film will be exteriors taking place during the film as one day from dawn to dusk. The film will have a heightened but still realistic look. Slightly over-saturated hedging toward golden light as the film draws to a close.

Aside from the problems of daytime exteriors which cross the board I was wondering what ideas you folks had on ways of maximizing the latitude of the HVX for day exteriors

I've already asked that the middle of the day (11:30-5ish) be hardly used for shooting outside. The change in the color of the day given by incrementing coral filters 1/4 to 2.

It was my thought that a black-promist 1/2 might do the trick in attempting to control some unruly highlights which are bound to show up; then upping saturation a little in post. What concerns me most about using a pro mist is that it may be degrading the image quality too much in combination with a 35 adapter. Using an Ultra Con would seem appropriate but I'm not sure if it controls the highlights fittingly.

I know there's plenty of you out there that have tried to wrangle this beast and any suggestions or corrections would be great!

Thanks,

Owen

also going to be in a similar situation and would love some feedback.

might be pointing out the obvious but as far keeping the sky in check a pola would be beneficial, as well as some hard/soft line grad. ND's.

• Premium Member

Unfortunately the HVX200 is pretty limited as far as settings you can make to extend latitude. You've got the right idea as far as time of day, try to have a variety of silks and nets to keep things under control.

I wouldn't use the BPM 1/2. Especially in conjunction with the adapter, but even without, that's pretty heavy filtration and getting into teledrama territory.

Beyond that, the obvious is that you want to use the gamma setting with the widest range.

Good luck!

• Premium Member

My experience with the HVX200 and the P+S Technik adapter is that the image will be soft enough that you don't want to use anything else that might soften the image further. A lot of that, of course, depends on the lenses you are using. I've only used older Zeiss lenses and Nikon still lenses. I had a personal preference for the Zeiss lenses. The still lenses were more troublesome on focus, but resulted in nice images.

I'll second the suggestion for having a collection of ND grads on hand. They have always proven useful on exteriors.

Best of luck with your shoot!