Australian TV network to scrap screen credits

Its pretty much the same here. The credits roll but they are squeezed to the side and in ultra fast forward to fit in next weeks teaser to the exact time frame.....

It should be a right (as it is with cast) to have a crew credit.

• Premium Member
The American way of doing this is gradual incrementalism. They allow ever less time, squeeze 'em smaller and smaller, inch by inch in the general direction of oblivion.

I've noticed lately they've been running not just ads or promos but the beginning of the incoming show either squeezed or cropped next to the credits of the outgoing show. I mean, wow, can it get much worse?

• Premium Member

An aside: I've never been one for credits of my name so usually ask my name not to be in a program. Once my mother watched a Series I was lighitng director for and asked how come my name was not in the show. I told her why. She asked me how I expected to get work if no one saw my name.

• Premium Member
Its pretty much the same here. The credits roll but they are squeezed to the side and in ultra fast forward to fit in next weeks teaser to the exact time frame.....

It should be a right (as it is with cast) to have a crew credit.

A "right"? Cast don't have "rights". They have a contract and their contract stipulates certain conditions pertaining to an on screen credit. When I have done TV broadcast work I sign a contract that clearly states how my credit will be handled with no surprises. That's the way it is and has always been. That's why there is "above the line" and "below the line" in the budget. The former is perceived to be not expendable whilst the latter is. We "below the line" technicians simple do not have the leverage to demand anymore than what we currently receive. As long as the check clears I don't have a problem with that.

I'm not one that needs my ego fulfilled by seeing a little blurred name in the bottom of the screen BUT my point is that if you let TV stations walk all over the unions on issues like this it just paves the way for them to take more and more rights off the crew...

This is the first station in Australia to do it and i guarantee by the end of the year the other two commercial stations will scrap them. Then the Execs look to each other "now how can we save more money or more time" and things start disappearing.

Its all in principle.