Adams 64

Art Leal

I have a few cameras that require the infamous mercury 2.7v battery. I was wondering if anyone has used the Adams64 modification on their camera(s)?

http://www.film.project-consultant.net/htm...4_new_cams.html

thanks

Hi Art,

the principal purpose of the adams64 is to convert a 40/160 asa camera to 64asa. If your cameras don't need this but just his light meter battery modification, why not just use zinc-air 1.35 volt batteries? These are cheap and do a fine job in my opinion.

cheers,

Richard

Hi Richard.

I just tested a Canon 1218 I recently purchased. The exposure was perfect using two Wein Cell batteries.

I have problems with a few cams that use the PX14 (which is 3v alkaline instead of the required 2.7). The dropoff voltage affects the exposure radically and quite quickly. I will look into modifying or rigging a way to use the Weins on these.

Many thanks

Art

Hi Richard.

I just tested a Canon 1218 I recently purchased. The exposure was perfect using two Wein Cell batteries.

I have problems with a few cams that use the PX14 (which is 3v alkaline instead of the required 2.7). The dropoff voltage affects the exposure radically and quite quickly. I will look into modifying or rigging a way to use the Weins on these.

Many thanks

Art

Hi Art,

With Px14 cameras, I generally use two of the wien cells and a little piece of tin foil to take up space. I had an old px14 battery once and peeled off the cardboard cover and indeed found that it was two px625 batteries with a metal spacer.

hidyho,

richard

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm missing the point, but why don't you use two 1.4V hearing aid batteries (And a metal piece, like tin foil, for filler)? I have no idea how long they last until the Voltage drops off, but they're dirt cheap and you get them easily at pharmacies, so it doesn't even matter if you just use one set for two weeks or so. I used one in my Krasnogorsk-3, when the lightmeter was still working, and got an excellent exposure.

Yes, that is correct. Recently I also bought these 1,4 V hearingaid batteries for my Nizo 801M.

With the batterycontrol, they give the same reading as the original PX 625 mallory. Should read to f8, was indeed dead on...

Haven't filmed so far with these new batteries in my Nizo however.

Success !

cheers,

Paul

• 1 month later...
Hi Art,

With Px14 cameras, I generally use two of the wien cells and a little piece of tin foil to take up space. I had an old px14 battery once and peeled off the cardboard cover and indeed found that it was two px625 batteries with a metal spacer.

hidyho,

richard

Here are a few clips with two different cameras, same subject, using the Zinc Air then the Wein cells.

Thanks for the help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2-W39iF1kw&fmt=18

According to Martin Baumgarten's site, and other photographic sites where they talk about using older cameras that required the 1.3x2 or the 2.7, it would appear that for every .05 volt extra you have, if your camera uses only one of the button batteries, or .1 volt extra you have if your camera uses two of the button batteries, that would make it underexposed by 1/2 stop. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a voltage meter so that you could measure the voltage of these batteries as the voltage drops off through usage. So if you are using three volts instead of 2.7, that would mean that your light meter is underexposing by 1 1/2 stops. That's my deduction anyway. Feel free to debunk me anyone.