Bates to 110 volt

I'm running off a 30 amp outlet downstairs in a house, to a location 450 feet away. I was going to wire the plug to a 60 amp bates, and then run it to distro. I need to wire the end bates into two 110 volt legs. This is something I haven't done yet and looking at doing it for the first time. How do I go about this?

Is it a 4pin plug? If so you have two hots and a nutral (and a ground) you would wire one bates to one hot and the nutral, and another bates to the other hot and the nutral. Make sure and run ground to both bates. Make sure hot stays hot, nutral stays nutral and check with a volt meter before you get too crazy and strike every light on circuit. If its a 3 pin you might be SOL.

Keep in mind this effectivley splits the load handling ability between the two cables, so if your running a 30A breaker, each bates can hold only 15A, so you can't load 20A on one and 10A on another. (now where are you getting bates connectors, and why couldn't we find them for Way up North?)

Your using two bates, are you planning on using two luchboxes as well?

Guest Evan Pierre

I'm not sure about wiring but you are probably going to encounter some mad line loss with a cable run that long.

• Premium Member
I'm running off a 30 amp outlet downstairs in a house, to a location 450 feet away. I was going to wire the plug to a 60 amp bates, and then run it to distro. I need to wire the end bates into two 110 volt legs. This is something I haven't done yet and looking at doing it for the first time. How do I go about this?

Is it just me or is all this "Hey I need to do some electrical work so I need to go to the internet" stuff a little crazy? I mean if you want to contact someone on the phone through this site or something to talk you through it that's one thing but I would like to state for the record that internet electrical "advice" should be kept to a bare minimum. If this keeps up, one of these days somebody is going to get seriously injured.

Mr. Zanit, what do you say about it?

• Premium Member

I tend to agree, especially in this case where the person who is posing the question doesn't seem to have too much electrical knowledge, odds are none of it will end well.

I am not real clear what he is even asking, either way its the wrong place. Please get someone on your crew who can do this safely or not at all.