Columbia College Chicago any good?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Columbia's Cinematography program is supposed to be really good. I have a few friends who are going to that school right now and they all love it. I will be starting there this fall. I'm pretty excited to go. If I were you I'd visit the school sometime soon. It is an awesome place.

• Premium Member

I attended Columbia from 1999-2002; it was a fantastic school then and I can only imagine it's improved with time. Enormous amounts of equipment that's readily available and literally dozens of shoots going on all the time will give you more opportunities to be on set than you have time for. The only complaint I had was that it was all VERY technical with very little conversation about story - there was entirely too much emphasis put on HOW to do something, but never WHY to do something.

For Cinematographers, it's a dream-school in the sense that you'll be able to shoot as much as you want (provided, of course, that you're someone people like working with).

As with all things, some of these observations could be different now - all things change with time.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions.