Crash Course in Pulling Focus.

I got an intern job for a boxing documentary... we were shooting on JVC HD200 cameras with lens adapters. When we arrived at the gym I was informed that I was promoted from intern/3rd AC to 1st AC... and I had never pulled focus in a situation like that(or at all while anything was rolling)... no monitor(only the camera LCD), no follow focus... and we are ringside dodging punches from heavyweight boxers getting slammed up against the ropes...

all in all it was a lot of fun.. and I hope I get to be 1st again ...

• Premium Member
I got an intern job for a boxing documentary... we were shooting on JVC HD200 cameras with lens adapters. When we arrived at the gym I was informed that I was promoted from intern/3rd AC to 1st AC... and I had never pulled focus in a situation like that(or at all while anything was rolling)... no monitor(only the camera LCD), no follow focus... and we are ringside dodging punches from heavyweight boxers getting slammed up against the ropes...

all in all it was a lot of fun.. and I hope I get to be 1st again ...

Hah, I think you got bumped to 1st because all of the other 1sts they 'hired' weren't into the job - myself included ;)

I'm sure you'll learn a lot about focus pulling, and low-budget shooting on that job.

Best of luck.

• Premium Member
at this point I'm just happy to be handling the equipment...Since I don't have any formal training or any real experience in it I don't mind working for travel money and dinner...

...and this is why producers don't want to pay for so many jobs in the film industry.

...and this is why producers don't want to pay for so many jobs in the film industry.

unfortunately without any schooling in film I don't really have the clout to ask for much more when they could just as easily get someone who is willing to work for less than food and travel... I wish it was simpler, and everyone was paid for their fair amount of work, but this is what unions are for... unfortunately, little experience=no admittance into the union... it will be a while before I can make a living solely on being an AC or DP. but for now ill wait tables at night and pull focus during the day.

• Premium Member
unfortunately without any schooling in film I don't really have the clout to ask for much more when they could just as easily get someone who is willing to work for less than food and travel... I wish it was simpler, and everyone was paid for their fair amount of work, but this is what unions are for... unfortunately, little experience=no admittance into the union... it will be a while before I can make a living solely on being an AC or DP. but for now ill wait tables at night and pull focus during the day.

Well, that's great, Corey. You're doing what's best at the moment.

It took me about a year of film school to realize how much money and time I was wasting (while working as an AC here and there) before I left about 6 months ago to work fulltime. Now I'm making a living DPing and Camera Teching and I've only been here two years.

It can happen. Just work hard; you'll be fine.