screen as net/double net

anyone ever tried to use window screen material to serve as a "net" outside of a window to reduce light level. (as in the black, verythin flimsy type you would find on a large screened openings on a porch at the beach). I'm not referring to the heavy aluminum material found in most homes, but rather the rolls of screen that is more of a soft mesh material.

yea yea yea, ND is the way to go, agreed. I'm more referring to the shoot where there is not time or budget to ND multiple windows, but the level needs to be reduced. I was thinking double this stuff up, tack/staple it to the outside of windows and you could potentially treat 6-8 large windows with much less effort than one would encounter with ND.

something like this but most likely black

http://www.qualitywindowscreen.com/store/i...products_id=185

I don't know about the standard window screens, I do know that if you start doubling the screen material you will create a wierd patterning that you can even see with your naked eye, and is just heightened by the camera lense, the same problem is had with doubling up single and double nets. On the production I'm doing right now, the DP is callling for a 12'x12' double outside the windows quite a lot. It works wonderfully. In some instances we have put ND on the windows and then the net beyond that, depending on the time of day. Just make sure that the net is as tight as it can get.

• Premium Member

Yes it can work. I just did it last week on a low budget job that had no money for ND or bobinet. I think production found a few rolls of screen at Wallmart or something for pretty cheap. It's a little tricky to work with but not to difficult. It's actually very light in terms of it's light reducing capabilities so you will need to layer it up pretty heavy. And this will create an odd patterned effect which is most undesirable. I had three layers which probably was about equivalent only to ND .3 and it clearly had a morie effect. I was able to place curtains over it and it worked alright. But this was a reality TV show and the "look" was not the priority. Can you say: "Down and dirty"?

If you were doing CUs of someone right next to the window and you needed to knock off 2 or 3 stops it might not look very good.

As for "much less effort than ND" the answer is no way because you will need to hang a bunch of layers and if you've ever tried to put up multiple layers of gel over one and another you will know that it's a very difficult thing to get done.

good luck.