AVC HD to 35mm

Andres Pardo aka Gral Treegan

Hi!!

Here is General Treegan from Mexico City!

Im working in a new project that is gonna end in a 35mm print, a one minute commercial for Cemex.

Everything is gonna be shooted in S16mm and some shots with Panasonic P2.

Were gonna have a remote control helicopter shooting day and this helicopter holds a Sony AVC HD, i dont know the model of the camera but the format is the same in every avc hd cameras.

My question is if this cam have enough quality to end in a 35mm print, the camera is 1920x1080 but it compress a lot.

Anyone do that? have anyone ever do a print from this format?

thats all, im gonna post footage and comments when the shot is donde.

thanx!

GT

• 1 month later...

well,

my humble opinion would be to load the footage into FCP, import it as Apple Pro Res HQ, preview the footage on a good 1080 monitor and then watch it compared to your other footage.....

put them side by side at full resolution if you have 2 monitors....

the avchd will be lesser quality for sure because the sony only uses avchd in consumer models which aren't ever going to be up to par with anything that shoots p2....

you will notice a difference but as long as it isnt horrendous I'd say use it...

but also remember, if it is a special type of shot like helicopter or underwater or POV, people won't always expect it to be equal quality and probably wont be phased by it...

what's cemex though? why would your end format be film for a commercial? is it going to be played in a theater?

message me when you have the footage up though, I'm interested to see how the mix of formats looks

Cemex SAB de CV (BMV: CEMEX, NYSE: CX) is the world's largest building materials supplier and third largest cement producer.[1] Founded in Mexico in 1906, the company is based in Monterrey, Mexico and has operations extending around the world, including production facilities in 50 countries in North America, the Caribbean, South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cemex

Cemex SAB de CV (BMV: CEMEX, NYSE: CX) is the world's largest building materials supplier and third largest cement producer.[1] Founded in Mexico in 1906, the company is based in Monterrey, Mexico and has operations extending around the world, including production facilities in 50 countries in North America, the Caribbean, South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cemex

ok so.... in that case why do you need to finish this to 35mm? Is it for a presentation of some sort? I just cant imagine how keeping getting 16mm with an HD telecine and mixed with HD footage wouldnt be better off in a digital format, especially if it is going to be broadcast