Front Element

Miguel Bunster

Minor scratches can be buffed out, depending on depth of gouge. That is a lot cheaper than replacing lens, which may not be possible. I have never heard of anyone doing it. Contacting Panasonic directly may be the smartest idea.

BUffed out? what you mean?

where could i do that?

m

Polishing it off. Refinishing the surface of the lens with special tools. I don't know if you should attempt to, but a lens technician may have the tools to do a good job, depending how deep the scratch is.

• Premium Member
Hi,

I was trying to find out where if at all, if a HVX200 front element can be replaced and not the whole lens or camera?

It has a minor scratch but would love to find if its possible to replace that piece of the lens?

any ideas?

thanks

M

Messing with that front element would be very expensive. The smaller the chips, the more precise everything has to be. Given that it's a minor scratch and the pictures still come out OK, I'd fuggedaboutit. Trying to polish it out would change the shape of the surface in that area, which could be disastrous.

Keep a UV or Skylight filter or an optical flat on it from now on. That'll protect the front element, and put the scratch behind a layer of glass where it'll be harder to see.

-- J.S.