*Korean cinema* OLDBOY

Has anyone seen the korean film Oldboy by Park Chan-wook ? Saw it the other day and really enjoyed it. Ive been following releases from korea, thailand and the rest of asia for awhile now, its great to see such strong cinema from these places.

Oldboy has a really dirty urban feels to it, anybody know what equipment they used on this film? How do you achieve this look?

• Premium Member

The making of on my Korean Special Edition :D Dvd of 'Old Boy' shows that they used a 535. I would guess that they used Zeiss Superspeeds.

If you like Korean Cinema you should check out 'Memories of Murder' which is the best Korean film I have seen so far. It is based on the true story of the first serial killings in South Korea, in a small town during the 80s. The killer was never found and the film tells the story of the police and their doomed search for him. It is the BEST film I have seen this year, it is truly a masterpiece (and I don't use that term lightly)

Memories of a Murder was definitely a great film. There was some incredible Steadicam work in it.

If you like Oldboy - and I personally did not like it, although there were some sparkles of brilliance, not to mention some truly unforgettable images - check out Park's other films, JSA and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. Also, there's a Korean film fest later this month at Lincoln Center in NY.

• 1 year later...

My personal opinion, I feel that Oldboy is one of the most important films of the last 10 years. It had such a raw emotional impact and the cinematography was stunning. Its to late in the night to get into the depths of the film but its a true masterpiece. Its a shame "they" are making a remake of it already http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425320/ . Thank you for posting " Memories of a Murder " Max, will try to order or rent it. By the way I did submit my DVD trailer for the Ifilms, Oldboy DVD trailer contest, didnt win but I was glad I tried.

Edited by Jesús Sifuentes