Just 1 wireless lavalier mic for wedding reception...?

Michael J. Murphy

I have a wedding this weekend and the only thing troubling me is the audio situation. My wireless lav mics are black and the groom is wearing all white. The only one wearing black is the minister. I want to have a mic on the groom also, but the black on white would be hard to hide. Is it safe to just mic the minister, or should I find another way to mic the groom and the minister?

I'm using Shure PG185 mics, with an approximate 6 foot pickup radius.

Thanks!

I have a wedding this weekend and the only thing troubling me is the audio situation. My wireless lav mics are black and the groom is wearing all white. The only one wearing black is the minister. I want to have a mic on the groom also, but the black on white would be hard to hide. Is it safe to just mic the minister, or should I find another way to mic the groom and the minister?

I'm using Shure PG185 mics, with an approximate 6 foot pickup radius.

Thanks!

Hi Michael,

I just saw your post now. I'm so sorry I didn't join this forum in time! Since the wedding you were shooting has already passed, I'm curious what you decided to do re: the mic. Our company mainly films weddings and I would have suggested putting the mic on the groom regardless of the fact that it's black, because if you pin the minister and he decides to run the vows further than 6 feet away, your audio quality will obviously be degraded. My view is that the audio is such an important part of the service, the best approach you can take is to try and hide the mic as best you can (without obstructing the mic head) and then remove it soon after the service so it's not it too many of the professional pictures. Bad audio will be noticed well before a small, black mic in a few pics.

Again, I hope the shoot went well - I'm sure it did!

Bruce