Intro to Africa documentary

Marty Martin

Hey everyone, haven't posted in a LONG time. But would love some feedback on the intro to a documentary I shot/directed/edited in Africa. Link can be found at http://www.marty-martin.com

Thanks in advance!

Marty Martin

Director/DP/Editor

www.marty-martin.com

www.imagenfilms.com

Edited by Marty Martin

Hi Marty,

Did you choose to desaturate the footage to convey the sober nature of the subject matter? It seemed like it was a little too drained to me and actually dragged the pacing down a little. I'm very visual and things like that actually affect rhythm to me. Also, I felt like the narrator slowed things down a little too much. Actually, I think it was more of a choice of editing than the person himself. For instance, he would say something and then it would be reworded onscreen after the fact. That felt odd. If it were me, I would have chosen one or the other (probably the onscreen message).

Are you using an adapter? It looks like it and it helped to up the ante on the production value. You got some nice shots throughout.

Overall I felt like it dragged a little. The message of hope towards the end, even with the change in music, didn't transition enough for me to feel any real contrast. Although it's been done to death, a shift in the color palette to more vibrancy might have helped to convey the message better at that point.

Anyway, looks like it's a really interesting project and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Steven