Power for an Auricon Cinevoice

Brian Turner

This is really more of a question of science/physics then anything, but I'm not really sure where else I would ask it. I have this really old Bach-Auricon Cine-Voice 400 (modified version), and while it works well, it's biggest downfall is that it runs on AC power; I have to plug it in. There are various kinds of portable power supplies that would let me power it portably, but I run into an interesting issue. From what little I've been able to find on the subject, these older electric, non crystal-sync motors use something about the principle of electricity to keep in sync.

So my question is, would I need to use a power supply that is pure sine in order to keep the camera in sync, or is sync not related to that?

I've got a Cine-Voice 100, modified with a Bodine 60 Hz hysteresis synchronous motor such as they put in the 400's. The synchronous motor is using the 60 cycle 120C house AC to keep itself in sync with the world. But, in a pinch, I have run my Cine Voice off one of those 100 watt square wave inverters you buy down at Fleet Farm. The motor doesn't draw a lot of power, but its inductive kick-back may fry the inverter if you get one that doesn't have enough power capacity to handle it. Keep in mind that your motor will synchronize with whatever frequency that inverter is kicking out, so you may want to do a frequency check on the inverter while the camera is in operation.

Try it and see what happens.

Edited by Robert Hughes

Okay, thanks, I was going to try using a computer UPS for shots where I had to move too much for a cable. I was worried that if something happened that broke the camera motor... well, I wouldn't have too much luck finding a replacement.

I believe the motor is supposed to draw 50W of power, according to a label I saw on another.