Best 16mm stop motion camera?

schnozzle

Is the ultimate 16mm camera for stop-motion still considered to be an RX4 or 5 Bolex? I know that the Mitchell 16 is considered quite good, but is it $3,500 good, more than twice the going rate for an RX4?

I know that Arriflex 16s cameras can be fitted with animation motors, but nobody I know ever seems to use them for that purpose--does anyone know why? I thought the registration might be steadier than the Bolex, but perhaps that's less of an issue for single frame work?

When I was back in school many folks I knew used old Cine Kodak Specials, but I believe those are all non-reflex, correct?

I have a Bolex RX3 that I did some time-lapse animations with, and this was without a motor. I don't know that much about the Mitchell cameras nor have I heard of people using the Arriflex S16's for stop-motion, but I was pleased with the results that I got from my camera. I know this doesn't really answer your question; just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents as a stop-motion enthusiast and Bolex-owner.

Bolexes are used widely for stop motion since they are plentiful compared to the Mitchell. So are the Cine Specials since they do have a reflex prism behind the lens for focusing and aligning but it moves out of the way when the camera is operating. It's easier to find C-mount lenses for the Bolex than the S-mounts for the Cine Special. Both cameras produce good results without pin registration.

The Mitchell might well be the best choice, but if money is an issue....

Arri S is certainly steadier - I'd say "more reliably steadier" than the Rx 4 (I own both), but the Bolex has the major advantage of a focal plane shutter.

(i.e. Bolex can be quite steady, but requires as has been said before care & feeding, adjustment)

-Sam

Why is it then that nobody (or at least nobody I know) uses the Arriflex for animation, even though single-frame motors are available? I even remember somebody telling me the Arri was actually unsuitable for this purpose, although I honestly can't remember what the reason he gave was.

As for the focal-plane shutter, is this more of an advantage for the Bolex in terms of allowing a wider selection of lenses to be fitted to the camera (which in the still camera realm is a reason why a bunch of large-format photographers I know like to use old Speed Graphics) or is there more of a functional advantage?

As for the Mitchell, yeah, I would love one but I'm not sure I need that much camera. Unless of course someone has one they want to get rid of...

The Arri's mirror shutter can let light expose adjacent frames if it's parked too long.

There are capping shutters (Norris makes one to work with their timelapse motors) which prevent this by capping the lens between exposures.

-Sam