Turnaround question

Normally adequate turnaround isn't an issue on most of the stuff I work on and if production try and cut into it the crew pretty much rebels so its a non issue. Recently however I was booked for two shows back to back on consecutive days. The first show was supposed to wrap at midnight but instead we wrapped at 4 in the morning. I had a noon call time for the next day just barely got enough sleep.

I wanted advice on how to avoid this problem in the future. Should I simply not commit to back to back shoots or is there a better way to handle it. It wasn't really production's fault that we ran over. Just some issues with the location.

If they are shoots for separate production companies, then they each expect you to finish until they wrap or be ready for the call time you committed to. I once worked with someone on a shoot that went 8 hours over until 4am and he had another call the next AM and had to decide whether to try to make it or call in someone to replace himself. I believe he went to the shoot. It's a risk many people have taken booking 2 back to back shoots, but you have to decide for yourself if that risk is worth giving up a job you may very well be able to make. That's why is is always good to have friends who do the same job as you to call up at 5am.

It's just something that happens sometimes. I rarely ever plan anything for a shoot day, no matter what time I might expect I should be finished. If there's ever a reasonable expectation that there could be an actual conflict, then I don't take the second job even if it could be close. It's just not worth the risk.

That's one of the problems with this business. It's not like other jobs where you can just go and start up the next day. Crew is trapped at work at the mercy of those who are in charge no matter how long it takes. The blessing and curse of overtime is that you get paid for staying "late," but it's not like you have any choice. If they want to keep shooting, you stay or else don't expect to be invited back ever.

• 2 weeks later...

I can only add to what's been said. My personal worst was a straightforward commercial that due to a sudden weather change and video monitor sync problems (this was 24 years ago) went 23 hours, ending at 7 a.m. I had said OK to am 8 am start commercial the next day, so had time for a shower and change before going in for twelve more. This was in July and the height of the season - I couldn't have gotten a replacement if I tried ( I was going in as a third/last grip on the last day of a three day studio commercial).