How do I shoot a Sunset?

Hi,

Im not sure if this is in the correct forum, as I don't want to create an effect-I want to shoot an actual sunset! Im shooting on DVCAM and the last time I tried, I used ND 2, but as time went on, the image got more and more black and I didn't really get the amazing colour that my eyes saw. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Mary.

Hey Mary,

There are different zones in sunsets that you should expose to to achieve what you want.

Do you want to just get the sky in shot or do you want to see some foreground with sky? If the latter try using a ND Grad or even a sunset grad.

Also, you can accentuate colours by using a polarizer

There is a book our there called "the photographers guide to filters" by Lee Frost.

Also, have a read of this.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_system

Good luck!

For a sunset you'll want to expose for the sky. The ground will be black, but the sky will be beautifully exposed.

Also, if your wanting to do a time lapse and don't want to spend a lot of money then all you need to do is take a digital camera and a tripod, and then set it up where you want it. Then take a picture every about 2 sec (it doesn't have to be exact) for as long as you want the sunset to last. It might sound really tedious, but hey it works. :)

Then to make it into a video file look for a stop motion software on the internet, there's usually a bunch that are legal and free. Goodluck!