Light Leak

Manu Anand

Dear Friends,

I recently worked as an AC on a feature film shot here in India on super 16arri hsr3 using vision2 200T and 500T stock.

We got the rushes back a while back and there was a problem with one of the scenes.

In one of the shots we let the sky burn out a lot. Now what has happened is that there is a light leak of the burnt out sky which was on the botoom of the frame onto the top of frame of the next frame which was a dark green tree.

I have personally experienced this problem during still photography especially while using wide lenses in shots in which the sun is just out of frame. The light leaks onto the next frame especially when one keeps the sun out of frame on the right.

The reason why this happens i think is due to internal reflections in the film itself that it spills onto the next frame as well as the light being so strong it passes through the anti halation backing and reflects back onto the next frame. Also i think its got to do with the angle at which the strong light enters the lens.

Am I on the right track?

This has been my reasoning i would appreciate it if all of you could share some of your experiences with this phenomena so that we could all understand it better.

I did search on the net. In most of the photography mailing lists they took it as something given, that happens, but what im looking for is a reason why?

Thank you

Manu

New Delhi