Thoughts On LA Film School

• Premium Member
Anyone have any info/thoughts on them?

I think it's a very good place to come to learn. It seems like everyone you bump into is "in the industry," so you get a lot of exposure to the industry.

Be careful of the fly by night outfits with one year programs for $20 or 30k. Check out the faculty, visit before you commit, do your due diligence. USC, AFI, Chapman (Orange County), maybe Loyola Marymount, I don't know about UCLA anymore-- these are the top schools I hear about. I have met a few Columbia College Hollywood students and been impressed, nice facilities too.

And of course I am a big fan of Los Angeles Community College. At $60 a semester per class, their own purpose built Cinema/TV building with stages, screening rooms, etc, I am very impressed.

Good luck, and look over the archives for other threads relating to film schools.

Bruce Taylor

www.Indi35.com

As an actor who has worked on 20+ student films in numerous film schools throughout the SoCal area, I was most impressed with LAFS, with Chapman and Brooks Institute of Photography tying for second. Though, my experience with USC has been quite good also. (On the other hand, I would run far away from NY Film Academy. Granted, I only worked on one film with them, but my experience was dreadfully unprofessional and overall disappointing, so much so I immediately decided not to waste my time as an actor. Mileage may vary.)

LAFS is great. If you can afford the time (break-neck one-year program) and the expense; I suspect you'll learn a great deal and make some tremendous connections.

I was impressed not only with the final film quality, but also of the professionalism and camaraderie on the sets\ locations. People knew their place and weren't at all disgruntled about gripping or whatever task was at hand. All six films where I acted in LAFS, I found them to be truly collaborative experiences. Overall, the thesis films productions operated like well-oiled teams (of up to 25 crew).

The cool thing is that you can direct on one film and grip\produce\whatever on a fellow classmate's gaining exposure to many areas. They have various concentrations of study with 'minors,' as well. I was so impressed I actually considered attending myself. Because I have my hands full with a full-time professional job and acting, that may be down the road. Meanwhile, I'm learning as much as I can about all aspects of the industry.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a graduate from the LAFS, ((april 2008)) and honestly.. it's such a horrible program now. They changed everything about their program that made it appeal to me when deciding to go there. My program was a year-long immersion, hands-on program.. now they ONLY offer a 2 year degree program.. which allows you to get your degree in "film and science" whatever the hell that means. You have to take math and science classes now, which is one of the reasons I wanted to go to lafs... If I wanted to study math and science, I would've gone to UCLA and taken their film course. All their classes from what I've heard are a lot shorter and less detailed. So honestly, I would recommend checking out somewhere else... or just check it out for yourself and find out all their information, but I'm just glad I graduated before all the changes. Hope this helps!