Battery System For Konvas 1M?

Guest dpforum1968

Guest dpforum1968

Hi,

I have my Konvas 1M here and I notice there are a few other 1M users on the forum.

What type of battery configuration are you 1M folks using to plug into the power regulation unit?

The only thing I have found that works is a 12V power supply. It runs the camera perfectly and I can't detect any problems.

But, the Russian techs say 12V is too much, I should be using...

"7.5V to 9V DC. This battery should be capable of providing 10A current (constantly)."

I've tried all sorts of battery configurations but nothing works except the 12V supply.

Can any one tell me exactly what they use to power the 1M? What batteries? How many? etc etc.

Thanks

DC

Guest dpforum1968

I can't believe you just said you use a lead acid motor cycle battery, that's what I have used for the last year or so with mine!! All great minds think alike :-)

My problem with the motor cycle battery has been leakage. I travel a lot with my Konvas 1M so I would have to pack the motorcycle battery in my suit case inside two plastic bags. When I arrived at my destination there was always acid in the plastic bags. So I just re-charge the battery and away it goes.

But, on a shoot in NY my assistance put the battery system into the travel bag upsidedown! While we sat in the cab, acid leaked into the power unit and killed it! It was partly my fault I should not have been using a wet cell.

So now I have this re-chargeable dry cell system that is used for jump starting cars and as a 12V output in the field. It's a real nice unit, no more battery acid and the charger is built into it. Plus it has lights on it to tell you what the battery level is. (Only $48.00 Canadian dollars).

It does power the camera beautifully, motor runs smooth.

So what is my problem you may ask? It's the 12V vs the 7.5v to 9v the Russian techs insist I should be using. This rechargeable battery I have does deliver the required 10A of current which is why I'm sure it turns over the motor properly. But the Russians insist I will fry the circuits with a 12V system???

But I don't know what else I can use?

DC

• Premium Member

I got the sealed version - never leaked or needed refilling (don't ask me how they work). I think mine was made by a company called Sunrise.

You could always make your own Li-Ion package out of 1,2V cells that you serialize. But my experience is that the russian motor did better with a little over-voltage. It takes them a couple of extra volts to get going, you know.. :D

Edited by AdamFrisch

Guest dpforum1968

Well I think I'll just stick with the 12V system then, and hope I don't fry it. It does run nicely, so I guess I should be happy with that.

Another question on this power unit...the Russian tech just told me that the black 24fps is for summer shooting, red 24fps for winter shooting.

That's new to me, any one verify this? Mine seems to hold the 24fps better on red 24fps regardless of temperature.

Any danger of running red 24fps in warm weather?

Thanks

RDCB

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dpforum1968

Hey Adam,

My 12v power supply seems to have blown out another regulation unit :-(

Now the camera only runs at 32 fps! Weird eh?

So I had to finish my last shoot in 32 fps, but at least it ran. I guess more frames are always better than too few.

I'm concerned though about registration at 32fps, I'll see the footage this week. 24 is rock steady, never seen 32 though.

Oh well back to the drawing board on the right kind of battery unit :-((

DC

I use a Einhell EGS1200 battery device to power my Konvas 2M:

www.einhell.com

Click on "Car Accessories" and "Energy Station" and EGS-1200. Looks like this:

d5e35ca4c56b4986e8669908208641c0.jpg

It will give you 12 volts (for 17EP motors) and has additional plugs for 3, 6 and 9V, the latter should be okay for the 15 motors. With 50AH you should be on the safe side, and this "energy station" is cheap enough to have two or more of them. I definitely recommend it.

Edited by Christian Appelt

Guest dpforum1968

Hi Christian,

Thanks for that info. Oddly enough I used an almost identical device on this last shoot to power the 1M power regulator. And it went nuts, only working at 32 fps.

Of course I have no idea of knowing if the problem was caused by the voltage supply unit, or if some thing else happened???

I was shooting out in the desert when this happened so maybe some sand got where it was not supposed to? I had the entire unit sealed up though and there was no detectable wind.

But it would only take a few grains in the wrong spot?

DC

Guest dpforum1968

Christian:

I just e-mailed the Canadian distributor to see if he's got one.

So when you say plugs for 9v, what do they look like?

You mean a separate plug that is labelled 9v? Or a dial that sets the voltage?

How did you determine pos and neg coming out of the unit, a meter?

Thanks

DC

Guest dpforum1968

Hi Christian,

Are you in Europe? Or USA?

I contacted the company that handles these products for Canada and the USA and they don't carry any of these units.

Thanks

DC

Hm... I suggest you send a mail to info@einhell.de - sure they know if some other company handles these units in the US. I have seen the device in many online shops, so even if it is not distributed in the US, you could buy it by mail order. All you need is a simple plug-type battery charger for 110V AC, but that should be easy.

But maybe there is a similar product from US manufacturers, here it is sold for car and camping use, the Energy Station will start your car when the battery goes dead, or you can power 12V electric tools with it.

Look here:

Rally Port-A-Power

It has 3, 6, 9, 12 volt output, and here's another interesting page on that subject:

Comparing 12 V devices

Edited by Christian Appelt

Guest dpforum1968

Thanks again Christian!

I bought the Rally Port a Power since it can be adjusted to produce 9v as you point out.

Heck, for $31.99 I can't go wrong. Much better than the huge amounts of money being quoted to me to build a custom ni-cad re-chargeable power supply. Over $1000.00!

Now all I need is a working 1M power unit :-(

Oh well, two shipping off to the Ukraine to get fixed. If there still is a Ukraine :-)

Thanks

DC

• 2 years later...

Hi guys !

I have a Konvas 2M with the original control box and the battery for the 15EPSS motor, but of course, the battery is dead now. So I have to replace it. Anybody here would happen to have a connectors map for the box (where are the +, -, ground) and the voltage (looks like I have to use a 9 volts battery, but I just want to be sure :o) ).

THanks.

Fred