500T on Nizo 561?

ben croce

Hi Ben,

The Nizo 561 will rate V200T at ASA 100-- which is alright, because as Kodak recommends it, this overexposes the film about one full stop. Negative film looks better when overexposed and transfer operators have more to work with.

Unfortunately, this camera will also expose V500T at ASA 100, because the meter will only detect film speeds up to ASA 160. And then, with the notchless film cartridge that Kodak supplies, the meter will be set to ASA 100 and the internal 85 filter is also kicked out of place.

The reason for this is because the camera will only set the meter to the highest film speed it can recognize. Anything over ASA 160 will be treated the same way-- this is a problem with many cameras.

But, some people have used V500 successfully in the silver Nizos, especially in low light situations, because the lens aperture will open up to a bigger f/stop and you need the light anyway.

Remember too that these VISION cartridges will disable the 85 filter, even though the film is rated for tungsten light. This means for outdoor shooting you have three choices: leave it all alone, and take out the orange cast in the transfer; or put an external 85 in front of the lens and lose some light; or cut a notch in the cartridge itself so that the internal filter is not disabled.

The easiest way? Just leave it alone. That's what most people do.

Cheers Jim. Really appreciate the advice. So with Kodak recommending an over exposure of 1 stop with Vision, should I therefore underexpose by 1 stop for V500 if the camera is rated at 100ASA?

Thanks again,

Benjie

HI;

Ben, Do you own or have access to an external light meter? It would help you out a fair bit with this situation, I would set it at 400ASA and go around your location to get an idea of an average reading, if it's reletavely consistent choose your F stop and rely on the negatives massive latitude to cope with the changing light during the time lapse, that and a professional transfer can do wonders....

If an external meter is out then yes if the 500T will be seen as 100T by the Nizo then underexposing by a stop would put you in a decent area.

Also I thought of you the other day when I was out shooting some E64t in the sussex country side, it was DULL and I barely managed an exposure on daylight setting on a Nizo Pro, I'd seriously consider the 200T for your daylight time lapse sequence if it's dull weather, you could even leave it un-corrected to get as much sensitivity as possible and have your telecine house correct it back afterwards, again it's latitude will help you a lot in dull weather.

Regards