What Lighting Kit Should I Purchase?

Yvette Nunez

Hi Everyone,

I am starting a small production company and we have some jobs lined up to make small commercials and skits. Initially I had planned to just rent lights, but costs are adding up and I feel it would just be smarter to purchase them.

After much craigslist and ebay searching, I feel there aren't any good used lighting kits available out there or at least not at this time.

So anyway, I am writing here because initially I was looking to purchase the the Arri Softbank 571984 kit for $2,750.84 (link below)

http://www.samys.com/product_detail.php?item=3148

and I would like your opinion on this kit or any other lighting package you might recommend. We will be shooting a majority of the time with the HVX 200. Are there any lights you guys feel look really good shot on HVX? We are willing to spend between $2,500 - $3,500

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I use the Arri softbank as my default running around shooting interviews and small commercials kit. It's a good interview kit (throw some dimmers, gels, diffusion in, and buy a 650 chimera ring too). For small cheap commercials I throw in some small units (150-250) to give me some more options. Overall, it's a nice little kit though.

• Premium Member

It's a fine kit, and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. A small light kit is a great investment, and those Arri lights will outlast a stack of digital cameras :) An accessory that you will want to consider is an eggcrate for the Chimera to give you some control over spill from the softlight. It's not something that you'll always need, but occasionally it's a lifesaver.

Another soft light that I've had good luck with is Lowell's Rifa. Quick and easy to setup with lots of photons per watt.