What do you expect?

So, theres that new 20- something fresh out of film school, swanning around on set like a child in a sweet store. Your not sure of his name, and your not sure what he's supposed to be doing, but he's there anyway...

Im guessing that all proffesionals have met hundreds of runners on various productions, ive just a got a few questions id like to ask. Its not the sort of thing they teach you in film school you see.

1. What makes you take notice of a runner, a newbie? What were your 'pivotal' moments in your career ladder?

2. What, if anything, would make you want that particular runner/ cam ass/ juniour cam op to be on your next production?

3. What qualities are you looking for?

The only reason why I ask is because I've heard a mixed response accross the board, and its pretty easy to lose faith in what your doing. Some people say be reliable, get your job done, do it well, keep quiet and people will notice your hard work. Others say theres nothing better than someone full of enthusiasm and bouncing around really excited with a beaming smile on their face. And some say its just pure darn luck if you can get your break.

Any advice from you would be much obliged! :)

Regards

Richard Turner

Edited by Richard Turner

Nothing beats working hard and being willing to do whatever is asked with a smile on your face. Enthusiasm, the way I think of it, is very much the same. Be willing to to do anything and eager to help. Always be ready and don't be sitting around when there is work to be done, and there is ALWAYS something to be done, if you look for it. Keeping quite doesn't mean don't have enthusiasm. Be friendly, but don't waste time chatting when something should be getting done. Work smarter, not harder when it comes to your job, but don't tell people how to do theirs. Even if you are right, they will hold it against you.