film 16mm vs lens for 35mm

firdaus

my question :

if i shot film 16mm or sony hdcam with lens for 35mm (eg.50mm) do i have the same FOV than film 35mm with 35 lens ??

anyone can help me explaine and the formula to calculate about this..thanks

best regards

• Premium Member

Good evening, firdaus. First off, please change your display name to your full first and last name as per the forum rules.

The field of view shown with a given focal length will change depending on format. For example a 35mm lens on spherical 35mm will have a horizontal angle of view of 33.4º. Put that same lens on Super 16mm and you get an angle of view of 19.1º. Furthermore, put that exact same lens on a 2/3" inch video camera and you have an angle of view of 15.6º.

Each format is just using a different part of the cone of light projected by the lens.

I calculated these numbers with Panavision's Image Calculator. There are also tables with this information in the ASC Manual.

Edited by Chris Keth

Good evening, firdaus. First off, please change your display name to your full first and last name as per the forum rules.

The field of view shown with a given focal length will change depending on format. For example a 35mm lens on spherical 35mm will have a horizontal angle of view of 33.4º. Put that same lens on Super 16mm and you get an angle of view of 19.1º. Furthermore, put that exact same lens on a 2/3" inch video camera and you have an angle of view of 15.6º.

Each format is just using a different part of the cone of light projected by the lens.

I calculated these numbers with Panavision's Image Calculator. There are also tables with this information in the ASC Manual.

thank you very much chris, now i can use the panavision calculator..thank's

firdaus