Audio post�

Jay Taylor

Hey,

Does anyone know of any audio post studios that offer analog recording? The music isn't a problem, but if I'm wanting sound effects, foley, etc., it looks like everybody just uses protools.

I know it might sound silly, but I was hoping I could do everything traditionally, without using any computers, or digital anything. It's a challenge, don't be angry. :lol:

Did all the studios that specialize in this field throw out their analog reel-to-reels?

Jay

Hey Tom,

I don't have a problem finding a recording studio that has a tape machine. After all, I am in Nashville. :)

The problem I'm having is finding a studio that does sound design/foley traditionally. I'll have to talk to some of these studios, but I doubt they're setup for projecting prints, and recording to tape.

I've mostly been looking through mandy.com, and all the audio post houses use protools for that stuff. I'm wanting the entire soundtrack recorded, and mixed, in analog. Although, I'm starting to think it just isn't available anymore.

Jay

Hey Tom,

I don't have a problem finding a recording studio that has a tape machine. After all, I am in Nashville. :)

The problem I'm having is finding a studio that does sound design/foley traditionally. I'll have to talk to some of these studios, but I doubt they're setup for projecting prints, and recording to tape.

I've mostly been looking through mandy.com, and all the audio post houses use protools for that stuff. I'm wanting the entire soundtrack recorded, and mixed, in analog. Although, I'm starting to think it just isn't available anymore.

Jay

Sorry Jay, I guess I misread. I'll post again if I find one. I have a few audio friends I can check with.

Tom

Hey Tom,

No need to apologize. I appreciate the help!

Check out this video I found on youtube that discusses foley?

At about the 4 minute mark it shows the reel-to-reels they used, each having four tracks. It actually looks like they're recording directly to 35mm mag stock, but I could be wrong about that.

In the video description it mentions Danetracks, and JDH Sound. Can't find anything about JDH Sound, but Danetracks has a website. They do mention having a 24 track, but they only bring it up when mentioning transfer services. So I doubt they do any of their sound design, or mixing, that way.

I think I may be out of luck. <_<

Jay

• Premium Member
I know it might sound silly, but I was hoping I could do everything traditionally, without using any computers, or digital anything. It's a challenge, don't be angry. :lol:

What's your picture acquisition format on this project? Also, were your dialogue tracks recorded on analogue tape? You can run an analogue multitrack with SMPTE on one track. The rest of the gear in a facility should be able to chase that. However, you may need to supply (or pay additional rental for) the analogue multitrack, depending on the facility.

What's your picture acquisition format on this project? Also, were your dialogue tracks recorded on analogue tape? You can run an analogue multitrack with SMPTE on one track. The rest of the gear in a facility should be able to chase that. However, you may need to supply (or pay additional rental for) the analogue multitrack, depending on the facility.

Hey,

I'm planning on shooting 35mm. No dialogue.

I hadn't thought of having the tape machine synced to the protools rig, although I am aware it's something that's easily done. I suppose I'll need to talk to some of these studios directly to see if it's something they'd consider doing.

Do these post houses project the reels while doing the sound in protools, or do they use video dailies? I was planning on editing traditionally, avoiding the telecine.

Maybe I'm making things too hard on myself?

Jay

• Premium Member
Maybe I'm making things too hard on myself?

Of course you are. If you prefer to cut on a flatbed, that's entirely up to you. However, you may want to make things as streamlined as possible when it comes to audio post, as you'll merely be adding time and expense to that end of the process.

You should coordinate your work flow with the audio post house up front. Let them tell you what they can work with, and whether they can accomodate your special requests.