Concert Scene

Alex Worster

I'm shooting a short film coming up where I'm lighting a concert scene and I'm looking for a little help. The first part has the main character pushing his way through the crowd up to the stage. I was thinking it might be cool to build a low ambience and then have some par cans or other narrow spread lights flashing on and off at the crowd from above as the character made his way through but I've never really set up anything like that. Does anybody have any ideas of what I'd need to achieve that? The director and I have decided it would be better to keep the coverage tight because we're working on a budget as usual.

There will also be some shots of the main character on the stage with the artist, a pop singer. I've got a couple ideas of how to light this but any advice from people that have lit concert scenes before would be great. Also, if anybody has any good recommendations of movies with good performance/concert scenes I'd love to give those a watch. We will be shooting the character's against green screen because the director wants to add a "futuristic" concert background and we don't have time or the funds to build a practical one, as such I really only have to light the characters.

Thanks in advance!