Help with lighting a small room

jon lawrence

I've got a project coming up where I will be shooting on 16mm with kodak 7222 (b&w 200asa). One of the shots is of an old man sat on the end of a bed with a window to his right which will act as the main source for the shot. I originally wanted to use a 2.5 hmi through the window with some foam core to bounce some light back onto the subject however I have been told that I can not use hmi's. I do have access to a few blondes and was wondering if I could get close to matching the effect of the hmi with out it looking too messy. I was planning on putting some diffusion on the window to spread the light a little and making sure the lights are a good enough distance from the window so that I use them to the best of their ability (the window isn't particularly big). I wasn't planning on gelling the lights as it's a black and white and I'd figured with the diffusion I would be loosing enough strenght as it is.

Does this set up sound like it would work? I'm going to do a few test rolls but just wanted to get a little insight before I got started.

Here's a link to a picture which I'm using as a refence:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/20/72690161_cff240fbf8.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.

I've got a project coming up where I will be shooting on 16mm with kodak 7222 (b&w 200asa). One of the shots is of an old man sat on the end of a bed with a window to his right which will act as the main source for the shot. I originally wanted to use a 2.5 hmi through the window with some foam core to bounce some light back onto the subject however I have been told that I can not use hmi's. I do have access to a few blondes and was wondering if I could get close to matching the effect of the hmi with out it looking too messy. I was planning on putting some diffusion on the window to spread the light a little and making sure the lights are a good enough distance from the window so that I use them to the best of their ability (the window isn't particularly big). I wasn't planning on gelling the lights as it's a black and white and I'd figured with the diffusion I would be loosing enough strenght as it is.

Does this set up sound like it would work? I'm going to do a few test rolls but just wanted to get a little insight before I got started.

Here's a link to a picture which I'm using as a refence:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/20/72690161_cff240fbf8.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jon,

I think you will be able to get the look you want with the blondes. I think the diffusion on the window will help alot. As long as there are no multiple shadow issues it seems like a good plan. You might have to play with the distance of the blondes in order to get the punch your looking for, it just depends on what kind of exposure you want. It would be great if you could post some stills after your done. Best of luck.