New Music Video, tri-x cross processed, Automatic Erasers

Steve Wallace

Click here to view my latest directorial effort, a music video for the Automatic Erasers' song - England Flies - shot entirely on Super 8. The film is Tri-X (7278) cross processed as negative, and the live performance footage was pushed 2 stops. The film was shot on location with all practical lighting, no movie lights were used.

Cameras

Eumig Nautica (24fps mod)

Canon 301XL (1.0 lens)

Lab: Niagara Custom Lab, Toronto, ON Canada

Telecine : Cinelicious in Hollywood, CA USA

Method: Direct to Drive, ProRes 422, Final Cut Pro

SCREENINGS

• Salford Film Festival - Super 8 in a Digital World - Official Selection - Salford, United Kingdom - November 22, 2008
  • Cinesubsonica - Official Selection - Montpellier, France - TBD, 2009

If you would like this video to play at your festival or event, please contact me directly for more info.

Also, if you use Digg, please digg the post, help spread the word that small gauge filmmaking is alive in 2009

Thanks to Justin at Frame Discreet, for his original blog on cross processing Tri-X, Sebastjan at NCL and Paul at Cinelicious.

Cross-processing as negative increases the overall latitude and by my estimation allows for 2 stops push processing better, at the expense of larger and courser grain structure. In film tests, x-proc pushed 2 stops revealed more of an image than processing as normal reversal in the same lighting scenario.

by normal, you mean normal processing for reversal film, but still pushing 2 stops...

Correct. Also, I should add when you push TRI-X two stops it tends to get washed out from my experience. I think the choice to process as negative helped keep our contrast in check, despite the extremely low light.

Correct. Also, I should add when you push TRI-X two stops it tends to get washed out from my experience. I think the choice to process as negative helped keep our contrast in check, despite the extremely low light.

Good Job. I cross-processed Tri-x wedding footage in the same Lab, also in a extremely low light house, but I didn't push 2-stops, and it looked very dark, not enough details. So I guess when the film is under exposed, then cross-process , push 2-stops will make the image better?

How about the 64T? I also cross-processed that,too. But I prefer the normal processed image looking.

So I guess when the film is under exposed, then cross-process , push 2-stops will make the image better?

Yes, I would say so. As long as you don't mind the coarseness and large grain. Although, if you develop as reversal and push two stops it also gets grainier, but less contrasty.

How about the 64T? I also cross-processed that,too. But I prefer the normal processed image looking.

I like the normal processing too. Unless you are going for unusual color shifts mentioned earlier in this thread. If you want the color shifts to be more extreme you can push this as well, but after 2 stops it kinda seems to turn to mush.

Yes, I would say so. As long as you don't mind the coarseness and large grain. Although, if you develop as reversal and push two stops it also gets grainier, but less contrasty.

I like the normal processing too. Unless you are going for unusual color shifts mentioned earlier in this thread. If you want the color shifts to be more extreme you can push this as well, but after 2 stops it kinda seems to turn to mush.

I see,,,thanks. By the way, I have a Nikon 8x super zoom, there are some film speed number on it.

Daylight: 10,16,25,40,64,100,160,250

Artificial Light:16,25,40,64,100,160,250,400

I haven't tested the Auto light meter, don't know if this camera can recoganize vision2 200T, vision2 500T?

I see,,,thanks. By the way, I have a Nikon 8x super zoom, there are some film speed number on it.

Daylight: 10,16,25,40,64,100,160,250

Artificial Light:16,25,40,64,100,160,250,400

I haven't tested the Auto light meter, don't know if this camera can recoganize vision2 200T, vision2 500T?

I'm not sure about that camera, but according to the super 8 wiki it looks like it will read 200 fine (maybe as 160), not sure about the 500 though?

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Nikon_8x_Super_Zoom

i found that link at http://www.onsuper8.org

Edited by Steve Wallace

• 2 weeks later...

mmm, cross processing tri-x. always something i've wanted to have a go at. i also really want to try cross processing plus-x in a pyro developer. i don't have time and i don't have tank but i have a theory that it would produce an exceptional image. any idea as to whether anyone has tried this before?