I WANT TO RENT MY EQUIPMENT!

Keston Karter

Hey guys,I want to start renting my equipment. I am located in the ny area. I would also like to know if the production company/renter should provide insurance or should purchase insurance on the equipment and just have the customer pay for the insurance? And where would i go to purchase insurance for equipment of this sort?

EQUIPMENT FOR RENT

PANASONIC HVX200

REDROCK MICRO M2 KIT W/MICRO X

ZEISS LENS 35MM,50MM

NIKON LENS 85MM

(4) BATTERIES +POWER SUPPLY

7 INCH TFT WIDESCREEN COLOR MONITOR

DAVIS & STANFORD TRIPOD

ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT

(2) 50 INCH HEAVY DUTY MATTHEWS C STAND

(2) 2 K FRESNEL W BARN DOORS

(1) BABY 2 K FRESNEL WITH BARN DOORS

(1) 1 K FRESNEL

(2) 1 KS WITH SOFT BOXES AND STANDS

(4) 25FT AND 50FT HEAVY DUTY 120 AMP EXT CORDS

• Premium Member
Hey guys,I want to start renting my equipment. I would also like to know if the production company/renter should provide insurance or should purchase insurance on the equipment and just have the customer pay for the insurance?

You need two types of insurance. You need to have liability insurance and insurance on your gear for theft, damage when it's in your possession.

Then you need to get a certificate of insurance from the rentee which they will supply. You need to get a deposit to cover their insurance deductable as well.

There are companies that specialize in this. I'm in the LA area, so I use Insurance West for my insurance company as a rental house. I've had great luck using www.buymyinsurancenow.com for clients that don't have a production policy through a school or larger production company. Kat Wong has been very helpful to my clients. I have some insurance info on this page of my site: http://www.indi35.com/tips_and_links

Be sure you're covered before you send the gear out. I am new to this and I have been happy with the way my clients have treated the gear. When I explain that it's my stuff and I really care about it, they seem to take better care.

Good luck,

Bruce Taylor

www.indi35.com