aspect ratios

Colm Whelan

I am shooting a drama soon on hd. I'm using a sony F900. it obviously shoots in 16x9 which is obviously 1.78:1. as this is close to 1.85:1 can I frame normally using the viewfinders safety area markers or is there anything I need to take into account regarding the final print

thanks

I am shooting a drama soon on hd. I'm using a sony F900. it obviously shoots in 16x9 which is obviously 1.78:1. as this is close to 1.85:1 can I frame normally using the viewfinders safety area markers or is there anything I need to take into account regarding the final print

thanks

The benefit of shooting 1.78 for a 1.85 frame is that you'll have a bit of relief on the top of your frame to watch for you boom guys entry. I would shoot a framing chart and I'm not sure if you can put custom frame lines on the F900, I believe you can.

The benefit of shooting 1.78 for a 1.85 frame is that you'll have a bit of relief on the top of your frame to watch for you boom guys entry. I would shoot a framing chart and I'm not sure if you can put custom frame lines on the F900, I believe you can.

thanks. thats something I've heard before. but how do you shoot a framing chart accurately. I assume it means to mask the viewfinder