Wedding lighting

I am starting to get into videotaping weddings for a job.

I bought this light http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1882...00_Watt_12.html

But it came with a package so i have an extra battery and extra bulbs.

I was wandering on what Wattage i should use for a wedding. i have a 20W, 50W, 100W (120V (pluged into wall))

Do you suggest any filters? and i will be shooting them dancing and if needed light for the ceremony.

You don't get much distance from those, so stick to using it in your interviews during the reception and such (I wish I had one of those when I shot a wedding over the summer).

I wouldn't go any higher than the 50w for your closeups, anything brighter than that and you're going to be making the person you're interviewing squint which will just look bad when you have to include it.

You're not going to be able to use it during the ceremony because you would have to be uncomfortably close to the "action" for the bride and groom as well as whomever is presiding.

For dancing, I would play with using the 50 or 100w on as wide as you can to illuminate just what you're looking at. I remember when I was doing some video of the dancing I had to push the Gain up pretty high in order to get a decent exposure because of how dark and sparce the lighting was on the dance floor.

ya the wedding is in the day and i most likey will not use it there.

I am using a GL2. And you cant kick the gain on it. Enless there is a way?

The light is as good as i have right now but i plan on getting a litepanel in the future.

Any suggestions on filters?

What would be a good on camera light to shot weddings in?

You're not going to be needing to use any filters really. Since you're shooting digital just make sure your white balance is set for when your light is on and when it's off so you can switch between the two as needed.

The GL2 is a good camera to shoot wedding vids on, but if you want to really make a better final product, you should look into the DVX100's because of the XLR ports on it, then you can have a lav set up on the groom to get that audio best and then use a hotshoe mounted shotgun mic for when you're doing your interviews.

(If you're going to be asking about cameras and such, this isn't the forum to do it in. If you have more questions, I suggest searching the forum for wedding vids, you'll probably get some good results there, or just post in the Student and First Time Filmmakers forum.)

• Premium Member
Switronix has a new self-contained unit out, LED and fully dimmable. 50w equivalent. I haven't worked with it, but judging from the size it looks like a great small on-camera event video light. http://www.filmtools.com/switronix-torchle...-kit-tl-50.html

Actually they claim 30 watt equivalent. Like flashlights? That's what this light does in terms of light quality. Stick to what you have, it's the best for weddings.