Movie Cam Compact

Guest Blain Thrush

Hey everybody,

I just got a gig working on a 35mm film with the Movie Cam Compact. I was wondering if you could give me some tip pointers working with the camera. I have never used the movie cam compact before and just wanted to know what other people though about the camera. Things they ran into. Any special tools i will need for it. Ect. I will be doing a prep on the camera but would like to hear what every one has to say about it.

Edited by Blain

Yep, fantastic camera.

FG Bauer designed the Moviecams, which were then acquired by Arri, who had Bauer head the design of the Arricam system. There is a similar practical logic to both systems, and the movements are interchangeable, if I'm not mistaken.

As Rob mentioned above, the body can be built from naked and reconfigured with a 4mm ball driver. Very fast to change tops, remove the optical block, etc.

There is a covered data port on the dumbside to accept clip-on control boxes for functions like shutter sync, xtal speed control/ramping, etc. Similar to the smaller boxes on the dumbside of the Arricams.

I have on rare but notable occasion experienced rubbing on the 1000' mags, but not a harmful rubbing. If it happens, it will help to have the 2nd AC / loader give the mags a light pop on the bottom / dumbside in the center before handing it off to the 1st for a reload.