China says 'No' to HD

Tim Tyler

I found this on the ARRI web site:

Franz Kraus, ARRI's General Manager, recently traveled to China. He reports that China had a master plan to switch their TV and cinema infrastructure completely to HD. After a review of this plan they found that none of the HD productions had passed their image quality technical censorship. They now have changed their plan to include film acquisition and they are building four DI centers, again demonstrating the strengths of film and of DI.

(from http://www.arri.de/news/newsletter/article...674/roundup.htm )

I found this on the ARRI web site:

Franz Kraus, ARRI's General Manager, recently traveled to China. He reports that China had a master plan to switch their TV and cinema infrastructure completely to HD. After a review of this plan they found that none of the HD productions had passed their image quality technical censorship. They now have changed their plan to include film acquisition and they are building four DI centers, again demonstrating the strengths of film and of DI.

(from http://www.arri.de/news/newsletter/article...674/roundup.htm )

Building of DI centers will also have something to do with turning film into digital media.

A mate of mine is fixing (grain and scratch reduction) 20 martial arts movies for "the chinese"

Also in this months Arri newsletter "As far as the unconditional replacement of 35mm film is concerned, Arri sees neither the technological basis, nor the economic viability today or in the foreseeable future"

This was the tag line to their article on the development of their D20.

Mike Brennan