Auricon optical sound

Jack Honeycutt

Folks...

I soon to be the owner of a Cinevoice II CM-72. I want to learn about optical sound. I am waiting on some Auricon manuals. I am not too interested in mag sound (no mag striped film anyway). However, I would like to learn which Auricon amps, cables and such that are necessary for optical sound.

I have read that K-40 is the best film for this camera (re. optical sound). What about Fomapan?

Assuming I can collect all the old electronics to make this beast work, do I need to have special processing for the film?

Any links to a Auricon FAQ, web page, discussion board, books, etc would be apprecited. I am also on the lookout for Auricon literature (manuals) that would help me.

Thanks in advance.

Jack in Portland Oregon

jhoneycutt@qwest.net

Folks...

I

I have read that K-40 is the best film for this camera (re. optical sound). What about Fomapan?

Assuming I can collect all the old electronics to make this beast work, do I need to have special processing for the film?

I don't know about Kodachrome,but the one time I did a multi camera shoot with Auricon cine voices with optical amps back in 1981 (video equipment for the shoot was too costly at the time and this equipment was lying in a closet and the film stock we used was 4 X reversal and we had tons of it in a freezer,also the client wanted the option of having 16mm optical sound prints and couldn't afford the whole process of workprints and such),we used the old amps as that was what was available and they worked just fine.The film required no special processing.

I soon to be the owner of a Cinevoice II CM-72.  I want to learn about optical sound.

The one thing you should learn about it is that it is most likely not worth the bother. The quality of 16mm optical sucks. I'd suggest that you record your sound double system, the Auricon can do that I think, I believe it runs in sync although I'm not 100% sure (some models don't I believe). Unless of course you have a particular like of the quality.

- G.

The one thing you should learn about it is that it is most likely not worth the bother. The quality of 16mm optical sucks. - G.

George....

Yea, I know the sound is lousy & you can't edit it well, if at all. This is just a learning exercise. Playing with the past. I also collect & run old Mac Operating systems, like before 7.1. Yea, I am nuts. <g>

Thanks for the feedback.

Jack in Portland Oregon

This is just a learning exercise.  Playing with the past. I also collect & run old Mac Operating systems, like before 7.1. 

I am in great sympathy, I also have had passions like that. Always thought an Apple IIe was a fun thing to play with. Also keep joking in my head about shooting a regular 8mm feature film on Kodachrome 25 (although it's not around anymore I sadly hear).

- G.

I am in great sympathy, I also have had passions like that. Always thought an Apple IIe was a fun thing to play with. Also keep joking in my head about shooting a regular 8mm feature film on Kodachrome 25 (although it's not around anymore I sadly hear).

I love the old technology too.I have access to a friend's Steenbeck and I have a bunch of old newsfilm I go through and catalogue and restore.I have some old industrials and educational films from the 60's and 70's.Original A/B rolls,mag rolls,optical sound tracks and workprints.