A Hollywood Sequel for Michigan Workers

A new program in Michigan, which has suffered staggering job losses

related to the auto industry, seeks to solve this conundrum. The

program is training people to work in the film industry, which is

experiencing a huge growth spurt in response to the state’s incentives

to companies making films in Michigan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/jobs/08training.html

Yes,

I am originally from Michigan (but I haven't lived there in 10 years), and when I have gone back to visit over the past couple of years, the economy became worse and worse there and was really bad starting in the fall of last year.

The new tax incentives for feature films being shot in Michigan had been talked about for years even when I lived there and I am glad that something was finally done!

There are three new studios that are going to be open within the next 4 months in the Detroit area and there have already been a list of features shot in Michigan since the incentive kicked in including Clint Eastwood's "Gran Torino". Not that I am a big fan of Michael Bay, but he has said many times how much he loves shooting in Detroit and he has shot there quite a few times already.

The legislators in Michigan are also trying to make a provision for incentives with regards to commercial work as well and if that happens it would be even greater because Detroit has always been an Ad town like Chicago mainly because of the Auto industry.

I hope to bring more of my own projects back to my home state and I really hope it works out for the state because it is fantastic program. Let's see what happens.

-Scott