need to find a film school

It sounds like you're cutting it a little close if you're just starting to research potential schools now. You need to ask yourself several questions before selecting a school.

Are you looking for a school that focuses more on theory or production?

Do you want a degree that incorporates art foundation and art history classes in the curriculum?

Do you want to be able to make your own film (senior thesis) in school or are you content to work as part of a collective?

Do you want access to high end equipment?

Do you want to be in a geographic area that would facilitate your movement from college graduation to potential jobs in the industry?

How much can you afford to pay for tuition / how much are you willing to borrow?

Are your grades high enough to get you into a school that cares more about your grades than your portfolio?

Do you have a strong portfolio?

If you know the answers to those questions, search the forums for discussions about the pros and cons of different film schools. And keep in mind that no one can tell you which school is 'best' because no one has attended every school and been able to compare them objectively. You need to decide which school is right for you.

Well, being from California I can think of ten off the top of my head: USC, UCLA, UC Irvine, CSU Fullerton, LA City College, Cal Arts, SFSU, Brooks Institute, UC Berkley, and New York Film Acadamy - Universal Studios Campus.

Go...research...call...

BTW, you should have been applying four months ago.

Are you looking for a school that focuses more on theory or production?

production

Do you want a degree that incorporates art foundation and art history classes in the curriculum?

doesn't matter at this point

Do you want to be able to make your own film (senior thesis) in school or are you content to work as part of a collective?

make my own films

Do you want access to high end equipment?

as long as their not in the stone age or falling a part it doesn't matter

Do you want to be in a geographic area that would facilitate your movement from college graduation to potential jobs in the industry?

the closer to a job the better

How much can you afford to pay for tuition / how much are you willing to borrow?

wealthy family price is not a option

Are your grades high enough to get you into a school that cares more about your grades than your portfolio?

I'm a A B student and i only have one film to date

Do you have a strong portfolio?

no just some class projects that i made in a video tech. class

BTW I'm starting late because of family problems and i also was originally going to pursue what is now my back up my music production and theory but found out recently that movies fit me more i am already accepted to the University of Louisiana so if this does not work then its OK but i do need help if i do have a chance

I went to the SF School of Digital Filmmaking. It was cool. There are a lot out there though, just gotta look into them. Good luck!

Also, community college is never a bad idea. Especially if you want to go to UCLA or something of the sort. Get your GE credits out of the way quickly and inexpensively, then you can get right in it. That would definitely save you some cash...

Edited by Ryan Thomas

• 1 month later...

If you wanted SCottsdale Community College in Arizona is a ranked film school in the country!

http://www.scottsdalecc.edu/film2/home.html

Iw ill be attending next year and toured the campus and you get the top of the line equipment and you check out equipment of over $100,000. SO you get to experiment with different things and jobs. This is a great school for HANDS ON.

I'm in high school at my senior year and need to find a school before applications are due I'm interested in every thing behind the scenes preferably producing and directing please help me

-thanks

Hey tim, One of my cousin is pursuing animation course at WHISTLING WOODS INTERNATIONAL. it’s a two year course with a 6 month CEF foundation where you can learn all about film making . WWIL has tie ups with several international institutions like Griffith College Australia, Seneca College Canada, The Norwegian Film Institute & Deakin College Australia and so on….. their technological affiliations are with Adam Audio (Sound), AMD (Animation), Apple (Animation, Editing, Sound), Apogee Digital (Sound), Loud Technologies - EAW & Mackie (Editing, Sound, General), NVidia (Animation), Sony (Cinematography), ToonBoom (Animation)… log on to .. www.whistlingwoods.net....

Best of luck …………..