What percentage of the budget is a good starting point for post production audio?

James Steven Beverly

I don't know that much about post production audio on film so what percentage of the budget would be a good starting place when budgeting for post production audio on a 35mm feature 90 minute long feature with some sound effects, Foley work to include mastering the M&E and dialog sound separately, then full sound for the answer print? I know this is a nebulous question but what I'm looking for here is an average, low budget (under 500K) feature cost expectation. Thanks-Steve B)

Huh, seems a bit high but in absence of any other hard facts, I'll have to bow to Mr Duvall's expertise. I'll also do some research just to confirm that and post it as well. I'm sure thinking about it though, that number is probably pretty accurate. Even if it is erring on the cautious side, better to have a bit more than you need than come up short when you need it. Thanks for the information, Jay and it's Steve BTW :D

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Steve,

Sorry about that! :unsure:

Yeah, I thought 20% seemed high as well. Although, I discussed one of my projects with him. I'm estimating it to be around 60 minutes, and he thought it'd be around $12-12.5k for all the audio post. Maybe you could figure $12k per hour? 90 minutes would cost $18k?

Jay