Sub zero outdoor lighting

joachim

Hi.

I wonder if anyone have any suggestions to my "problem".

I have been asked to light a outdoor building site (they will build a house) for a TV series.

The lights will be used 6-9 hours pr day 6 days a week for 2 months. It´s during the winter, so I expect snow and sub zero conditions for most of the time.

What light would you use?

I was thinking about looking into the kind of lights they use at building sites.

Anyone now if they are any good for shooting?

If they are any cheaper than "proffesional" lights?

PS We are shooting on video and I will use the lights as practicals, I´m not trying to pretend it will be moonlight for 8 weeks straight.

Any ideas would be appreciated

I'm certainly not the most experienced person on this board, but since nobody else is chipping in...

The first consideration is the power situation, and what is your budget?

Do you have a cine generator, or do you have to run off the house power?

The second would be color temperature of the light.

You could use "shop lights" or other tungsten sources, but they're going to look very warm compared to however much sunlight is illuminating the scene.

It will be very obvious what's being hit with your lights, and what's lit by the sun.

If that doesn't bother you, then that's OK, but I'd certainly shoot some tests somewhere to see if you like the look. (Obviously, you can use gels on your lights too, but that cuts quite a bit of light out.)

Otherwise, if you want the color temp to match, you're gonna have to use HMI's or lots and lots of daylight fluoresccent lighting.

As far as how different lights react to the cold weather, I have no idea.

If I were you, I'd go to the lumber yard and buy a shop light, set it up somewhere and shoot some video to see how it looks, and leave the light on until it burns out, to get an idea of how long the lamps will last in those temperatures.

Matt Pacini

Thanks Matt.

I have been checking around a bit and as I thought "professional" lights just won´t do it.

If I was to use HMI I would have to take them down at night and that´s not an option.

Power is not a problem, we will have generators.

I think we will try some kind of industrial light that they use on building sites. It´s cheaper and more durable.

I have no idea of colour temrature on these things, neither does the rental companies ofcourse.

I think they are leaning towards the colder side of the spectrum, but that´s just a feeling I have.

If the lights are powerfull enough ( I think they will be), I will have to gel them and then adjust the white balance afterwards.

I think I will have enough days in pre production to do tests.

I will use fluorecents inside the house when walls and roof starts to come up.

Regards

Joachim

I think we will try some kind of industrial light that they use on building sites. It´s cheaper and more durable. I have no idea of colour temrature on these things, neither does the rental companies ofcourse. I think they are leaning towards the colder side of the spectrum, but that´s just a feeling I have. If the lights are powerfull enough ( I think they will be), I will have to gel them and then adjust the white balance afterwards.

Careful with these lights, as they are high intensity discharge lamps (mercury vapor or similar variant), meaning they will have an incomplete spectrum that is, essentially, impossible to "correct." Gelling them would be a good idea, as you will be able to bring the lights to an acceptable color temperature, away from the blue/green shift you would undoubtedly see if they're left uncorrected.

I've been thinking about purchasing some sort of HID lamp for special effects or B/W shoots, because they are insanely bright.

Have you thought about using Muscos? I've never shot with them personally, but another DP mentioned them to me when we were talking about lighting large open spaces at night. I've also seen them used in permanent applications such as sports fields and stadiums. Check out their website, it might be just what you're looking for...

http://www.musco.com/

Good luck,

Kris